Packing up and moving houses can made so much harder with young kids running around, making a mess and even unpacking boxes you’ve just packed. When moving with our little bubs there are a lot of things we don’t consider before beginning to pack. Some of us mums just don’t have enough time to care for our children AND move house at the same time – we’re great multitaskers but THAT is just too much.
So, I’ve put together a few tips on how to make the move swift, easy and as manageable as possible with kids:
1. If you can’t find the time to both pack and manage the kids, you have two options; firstly you can get help from family and/or friends to look after the kids so that they’re not in the way and unpacking boxes as you’re trying to pack them. Your second option is hiring packing services like Hire A Packer who will swiftly pack your belongings while you keep the kids out of their way
2. Building on the first tip, it is best to get the majority of the packing done whilst the kids are; asleep, at school, at day care or just away from the house in general (it’s a rarity, I know). This is because kids often have a hard time trying to understand why their toys are getting put away, or why their entire bedroom is disappearing. Getting their toys packed up quickly without the kids noticing is KEY to getting it done swiftly.
3. Treat the move as a positive and fun adventure as a way to help children understand why you’re moving and that they don’t need to get upset about the situation.
4. Get other mums opinions. Get on Facebook or any online mums’ groups and ask for their advice. A lot of people have been through this exact thing and many of them are always willing to help!
5. Get them a house warming gift. If the little ones can associate a new toy or another positive feeling/memory with the new house, then they will be more open to the new house being a home.
6. Say goodbye to the old house. Saying goodbye is a very touching moment but it also helps the young ones understand that it’s no longer their home and that the new place will be filled with just as many, if not more, amazing memories.